Matt Purser - The Future Project

Matt Purser

Tuesday, 25 August 2015 17:40

"The Zoo of You" Gala Opening

 

On Sunday 16th August, to celebrate the beginning of National Science week, the Gala Opening of "The Zoo of You" interactive exhibition was held in the Science Centre. The exhibition explores the important role that microbes play on and inside our bodies, and represents a new collaboration between The Future Project, Vitramed Bioscience and the Australian Society for Microbiology. The exhibition complements the research being done by Vitramed Bioscience in the research precinct of the Science Centre in the area of probiotics.

Of the number of cells that make up your body, only about 10% are human, the building blocks of organs such as the brain, skin and heart. The other 90% belongs to the trillions of microbes, mainly bacteria, living on or inside you. It has also been estimated that for the 23,000 genes that make up our body, there are more than 50 times this number contained within the collective bodies of the microbes that inhabit us. We are only just beginning to understand the roles, both positive and negative, that these microbes play in our daily existence.

On the 27 May 2015, two Year 11 boys, Gerry Feng and Thomas Dickinson, flew to Singapore in order to present their scientific research at a global student poster competition, held at the International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE) Conference.

CSI: Sydney - The Science of Forensics Public Discussion Forum

You are here: Home News Matt Purser